As we all know that there is a U.S. – China trade war going around which ends up banning Huawei to use any Google services and services from Microsoft in their upcoming devices. Earlier this year, Huawei launched its flagship device Huawei Mate 30 replacing the Google Mobile Services with Huawei Mobile Services core.
In an interview with Economic Times Huawei Said
HMS will be launched by the end of December
Huawei Mobile Services (HMS)
The company’s biggest challenge here is not the app store, but the APIs that differentiate Android from AOSP. HMS must provide similar functionality to Google. Which means it must provide the same experience on all devices irrespective of their application version.
Let’s take a brief look at what we get when we use Huawei phones with HMS.
What service Huawei will Offer in HMS?
- Huawei Account Kit : The google account will be replaced by Huawei ID. This feature would replace the google sign-in feature of the GMS. With your Huawei ID, you can conveniently sign in to any core app saving you time for verification like email and phone number. On the other hand, it will also help the developer as it does not need to process the registration or verification process. Huawei Id will also provide One Click Authorization. With a one-click authorization process, you can easily sign in. Unlike GMS, for the security of your account, it also has two-factor authentication, and your data is fully secured and encrypted.
- Location Kit: This feature is the GMS location provider’s substitute. And it gives you a high location success rate. And according to Huawei the success rate is the same, even if you are offline. It also has low power consumption with fast and rapid positioning accuracy.
- Huawei Map Kit: This feature will replace Google map capabilities and features, giving each developer a custom map with higher features and more interactions. The Map Kit covers an impressive 150 + countries and 40 + distinctive languages.
- Game Service Kit: You can use Huawei Gaming Service just like the Google Play Games to verify your location. And keep track of your accomplishments in your games. On the Upcoming updates, you can expect to have features such as tracking statistics for a specific game that will consist of things like duration and power + battery consumption.
- Mobile Cloud: The name makes it clear that this HMS app will replace the Google Drive for online storage. The HMS Mobile Cloud also provides features such as encryption, simple configuration, multi-device support, and real-time file updates.
- Push Kit: This HMS feature allows an app developer to interact on the cloud with its users. This functionality is a replacement for Google’s cloud messaging. And will help developers push out changelogs significantly faster to their users. Thus increasing the app’s usability and a relationship between dev and users.
In addition, we would like to conclude that the HMS has a lot of potential in itself. And it shows that Huawei does not want to lose its fan base in the U.S. or other places because of this Trade BAN. It is a big challenge for the company to thrive in the U.S. market without Google Play Services or GMS. But in China and other parts of the world, the company is not lagging behind.
Huawei currently has over 530 million customers in more than 170 countries around the world. Showing the HMS Core’s capacity and competitiveness in other parts of the world. Right now, we’ve got to wait and see whether or not people are willing to adapt to a new core app functionality.